Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Winter Writings: Day 82


I once climbed a tall mountain and stopped to take in the amazing view from the top. Of an earth built through the hardships of time and the mechanics of plate tectonics. Like a set of building blocks, it has been formed and reformed again, caught up in a battle we can neither control or predict. We place our puny landmarks upon it and call the earth our own, only to be reminded of the unrestrained power of nature. I sensed the journey taken through fire and ice to form the weathered rock I held in my hand and acknowledged that we have all faced adversity to share this moment in time. Even now, the feel of the rough granite on my fingertips reminds me that all things are possible, though in our darkest moments, we struggle to believe those possibilities.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan in this dark hour. In the midst of this great tragedy, may comfort be found in the coming together of mankind from around the planet to join hands and lift the Japanese from the rubble, comfort them in their losses and help them rebuild again. In this moment, borders will cease to exist and we will come together, in peace, as one people.

No comments: