Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

The truest treasure

I was sitting at a traffic light tonight - tired after a twelve hour day at work. As I waited for the light to change, I noticed a homeless woman carrying a bag and a suitcase as she crossed the road in front of me. She looked old and worn, her shoulders slumped, her face sad and defeated. Yet, just as she reached the other side of the street, she was met by a homeless man coming from a different direction whom she appeared to recognize. I watched as her face lit up with joy and recognition. The man dropped his bags and reached forward to gave her a bear hug and a kiss on the cheek. She, too, dropped her belongings to hug and kiss him back - and the burdens of life visibly fell away from her and she was beautiful - her smile beamed the light in her heart for everyone to see. At that moment, she was on top of the world. And I realized as I watched them that the true treasure in this world is not what we own or achieve or our names or our looks. It is the happiness we bring to one another. Even in the worst of times, a friend makes all the difference in the world - if only for one magical moment such as this one.

5 comments:

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Beautiful words... spoken from a true friend!

xo

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Wow- a whole new look for your blog! I like it. Plus, your observations and words- about how important friends are- sure ring true. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon. We need to catch up. Paula

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful story, Jan, and illustrates perfectly what is important in life. I've enjoyed your blog, love your art! Suzanne

Mary lin Huskamp said...

Isn't it heartwarming to see moment shared between two loving friends?

Thank you for sharing that precious moment with those of us who are your friends! Every friend is a true gift to cherish! Have a wonderful day, my friend! You are cherished!

Robin said...

beautiful--just beautiful!!!