Pages

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Daffodils and Rainbows

What a beautiful day for March to begin on ! Rain, followed by rainbows, fluffy white clouds and sunshine. Who could ask for more? And right after I asked myself that I saw a big bunch of daffodils in full bloom alongside the freeway - perfect! We are blessed to be surrounded by and walk in such beauty.
I spent the evening trying out L.K. Ludwig's gelating printing method she describes in her book, Mixed Media Nature Journals. I have never tried this before. You buy unflavored gelatin, mix it to make fruit cubes using water instead of fruit juice and wait for the gelatin to set. Then you can ink the gelatin, put natural objects on the paint and press the paper on top of both to make a print. You can also make additional prints by printing the object, after lifting it off the painted gelatin and pushing it into another piece of paper, as well as making a second print on the gelatin. I found when printing feathers, the second print was better than the first. It's a fun technique and I hope to embellish the prints with pen and ink to emphasize the object I printed or to just use it as background paper. The photos give you an idea of how the prints look, with a close up of a feather print. I used Golden fluid acrylics to do these prints. I also tried watercolor on the gelatin, but the resulting print did not keep an edge, although the color mix was beautiful. I'll be doing more of this!






1 comment:

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks for sharing your gelatin prints. I like how the second and third prints look. Paula