Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Woven Gourd


Since teaching my gourd class at Art and Soul I have been fascinated with the versatility of this craft. You can cut them, carve them, color them with a variety of media and add an assortment of embellishments. Here is my latest effort at creating gourd art. I drew the mountain and
fish design, used a woodburner to draw in detail and then cut out open spaces in the gourd, where I wove layers of yarn scraps to represent water. I used alcohol inks and watercolor mixed with alcohol to color the gourd. The gourd was accepted for show in the Sixth Street Gallery in Vancouver for their December Mosaic Art Alliance show. I look forward to creating more pieces in this versatile medium.


1 comment:

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Hi Jan, Both your bracelets and gourds are beautiful. I'll look forward to seeing you soon, Paula